But What Do I Say? 10 Conversation Starters for Moms to Help You Connect with Confidence
The most difficult part of going to a social gathering where you won’t know anyone is managing the awkward small talk. That alone pushes most people to just stay home. But making face-to-face connections is an important way to get to know people better, which is harder to achieve online alone.
When meeting new people, look for things you have in common which will make you more likable to the other person. Avoid pointing out differences (i.e., “Oh, I hate reading books”; “Yuck. I don’t like that kind of food”; “You liked that movie? I thought it was awful.” etc.) And dress in a way that fits with the people you will be meeting. Clothing and accessories can make a statement—just make sure it’s the one you want to make.
Here are 10 conversation starters that will help you connect more deeply with other moms:
- What are you working on right now that you are most excited about?
- What is something exciting that’s happening your life right now?
- What do you love about being part of this group? (or if they’re the new person: “How did you learn about this group?”)
- How do you know the host?
- Tell me about your kids.
- (If it’s near the holidays) How does your family normally celebrate the holidays?
- (If you’re coming up on winter/spring/summer break) Do you have any vacation plans this year?
- (Fall) My kids are trying to come up with Halloween costumes. Did you like Halloween as a kid? What was your favorite costume? What will your children be dressing up as this year?
- We are still getting acquainted with this town. How long have you lived here? Do you have any recommendations for family friendly outings or family friendly restaurants?
- That’s a cool class ring. Where did you go to college?
You can learn so much about people simply by asking them about their favorite leisure activities and interests. And they’ll have fun talking to you too.
Need a little extra help? Check out the free Social Superhero chat bot software that the Science of People came up with. The bot sends you conversation starters when you’re stumped, tips, social dares and even jokes to your phone.
Do you have a favorite conversation starter? Please share it with me!